Baby Boomster
Monday, June 07, 2004
 
ONE GOOD PRIEST ...

An upbeat comment to my criticism of the Pope, his statements and his church. Last night I went to a Silver Anniversary celebration for a good friend and wonderful priest.

There were nearly 200 people in attendance to honor Fr. John, who came into our local parish nearly 20 years ago, and to whom I had the honor of working with. During his term as parish pastor, I learned so much from this truly great minister of God.

Although Father served in four parishes and is now a hospital chaplain, no one from my parish was there to honor him except for my spouse and me. There were so many times he expended himself in this parish, counseling the troubled, introducing new ministries and programs, working with the other local pastors in a bridge of ecumenical friendship, and repairing and maintaining church buildings and property that had been neglected for years. As I sit at the table last night, I couldn't help but feel the absence of my community's parish people whose lives Father had touch in so many ways.

Many stories I could share here about this man, some funny, some poignant, but these experiences are many and fill an entire chapter in my life's book. One of the best lessons he taught me was by his example and his trust in the goodness of man.

We often had people come to the rectory door looking for a handout. Whether substance abusers or just down on their luck, Father never turned anyone away. He always feed them, offered them use of the parish showers, purchased new clothes or shoes, and sometimes put them up for an evening or gave them a few bucks from his own pocket for "their next meal on the road." He only asked that when they got back on their feet, they'd pass on the kindness to someone else less fortunate.

I once questioned him about this practice, asking him how he knew if these people were truly needy or just pulling a scam.

He simply answered me as follows:

"If a man comes to me asking for help under false pretenses, shame on him. But if a man comes to me asking for help and I turn him away, shame on me. We all must answer to our God for our actions, he for his, and I for mine. I am here to minister, not to judge."

Even the governor of New Jersey sent his best wishes with a State proclamation to this humble man. Thank you Father John and God bless you! You have strengthened my faith by your example and by your loving kindness to all. I will never forget your wonderful parish leadership, but most of all -- I and my family will treasure your friendship forever.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger