Baby Boomster
Thursday, May 06, 2004
 
OLD FRIENDS HAVE LEFT THE BUILDING...

With all the razzamatazz regarding the last episode of FRIENDS, I'd rather wish fond goodbyes to other shows that are leaving the air this season. Those that will be lost in the feeding frenzy of the departure of FRIENDS, and so I bid adieu to:

FRASER - A show that spun off CHEERS, and developed into one of my all time favorites. Although Fraser wasn't an especially memorable character during his appearance on CHEERS, for me, Fraser came alive amidst the wonderful characters found in his Seattle home and workplace.

Brilliantly written scripts, a super ensemble cast, funny, funny, funny, for so many years, and somehow, just when it seemed to get a bit stale, the plots again revived with a second wind of great plots and belly laughs. I would try to mention some of my favorite episodes, but there are just too many, so suffice it to say, I will always remember the Cranes with fondness and a smile, Daphne in red dress dancing a riveting tango with Niles, and a lodge getaway fiasco of mistaken revolving doors opening and closing as characters play physical "telephone" trying to connect with their perceived secret admirers. One tall latte for all!

ANGEL - Also bowing out of prime time is ANGEL. Another spin off, and strong show that has a faithful, loyal following and, once again, this season perked up with the inclusion of Spike to the roster. But, alas, Angel will also be retired before his redemption. However, call me lightheaded as blood rushes to my jugular, but I believe Joss Whedon (the creator of BUFFY, THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, the precursor of ANGEL), may have other ideas for his beloved characters. There may be new life with future sequel movies featuring a combo of the characters from both series. Star Trek anyone????

THE DREW CAREY SHOW -- Drew put Cleveland back on the map with his blue collar humor and Buzz beer ethics. Screwball characters, yo-yo relationships, dancing extravaganzas, -- there were some over-the-top fun times in good ole' Cleveland thanks to Drew. Who can ever forget the Time Warp Rocky Horror parody! Almost as classic as the original.

Well doors close and doors open. I'm enjoying some new shows which help with my sense of loss of the old, for example ...

TRU CALLING - interesting first season -- a decent play on the good and evil premise with the introduction of Jason Priestley (Jack) as the foil for Eliza Dushku's character(Tru). Next season promises to develop into a fast-past competition between the two.

JOAN OF ARCADIA - I just really like this show. The scripts are a little slow in the smooth flow of episodic development, but the acting and likeability of the characters more than make up for it. Perfectly cast: Joe Mantegna as Will Girardi, Mary Steenburgen as Helen, Amber Tamblyn as Joan, Jason Ritter as Kevin and Michael Welch as Luke, need I say more?

COLD CASE - Another excellent show, following the lead of CSI, this show has lots of originality and spawns a different tale of murder unsolved, finally getting a chance to be resolved after years of dormant inactivity. Each tale is unique as its victim, and the use of flashover montages melding the characters back and forth in time is interestingly unique.

DINNER FOR FIVE -- Love it, feel like I'm living vicariously rubbing elbows with four different celebrities each week, enjoying relaxed, intimate dinner conversation and really getting a sense of the personalities of my companions. The best part is that I leave the table within my calorie allowance in tact.

Note to Jon Favreau: Enough about SWINGERS. Need you mention it nearly every week! Yes it was a good picture, yes it won acclaim, but time to move on to new projects and stories! Thanks.

---So I still look forward to the rest of The SOPRANOS season. (Love the inclusion of Steve Buscemi this season, since we lost Joe Pants (Pantoliano) my boy from Hoboken!).

---Await the new SIX FEET UNDER and CARNIVALE seasons and

---Check out whatever A&E, DISCOVERY, HISTORY, IFC, SCIFI, COURT and SUNDANCE, channels have to offer to round out my viewing time.

As a boomer, growing up in the "age of television" -- TV is one my best friend and companions, loyal for so many years -- entertaining me, educating me, and even putting me to sleep -- it is always there when I need it -- It is my drug of choice!.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger